Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Using Dlyte to Boost Our Grocery Budget

Dlyte is a website where you can buy gift cards for a variety of stores and earn points that you can apply to future gift card purchases from them. Many gift cards are delivered electronically, such as Amazon, but there are also some physical gift cards, such as Safeway. The amount of points earned depend on the retailer, but the value (400 points=$1) for redeeming them is the same no matter what gift card you are using them on.

The great thing about using Dlyte is that I still get my credit card points, which we always keep paid off so that's just extra money earned for household expenses (or vacation savings), while also boosting the grocery budget by at least another 1%.

Since our favorite grocery store is Safeway, the main way we use Dlyte to help make our $50 a week grocery budget go farther is by purchasing Safeway gift cards. These are physical gift cards and there is a $100 order minimum, so I buy them every two to three weeks.

Safeway cards earn you 4 points per $1. Every time I order them I use whatever Dlyte points I have, which is at minimum 400 points from the last time I bought them. Thus, after the initial purchase I never pay more than $99 for the $100 in Safeway gift cards. I still try to stick to a $50/week budget at Safeway, but this helps us have some grocery money for deals at other stores and our Washington Post subscription.

We also try to purchase gift cards through Dlyte for our other purchases we make, so that we can earn some points to use towards our grocery gift cards. Mostly we only buy only the closest to the amount we are going to be spending anyways without going over, but whenever I don't have enough Amazon gift card money for a purchase I buy a whole $50 from Dlyte since eventually we'll use it on things we need or our every other month Subscribe & Save order.

No comments:

Post a Comment